Review: The Broken Eye by Brent Weeks


Sometimes you come across an author and their work just seems to speak to you. That is exactly the situation with Brent Weeks. I haven't read a book of his that I didn't love and just can't get out of my mind. Such is the case with Weeks's book The Broken Eye (Lightbringer #3). Again, I simply adored it. I delayed reading this installment a year and a half as I wanted to read it closer to when the next book came out. Hopefully in August this year! What is it about Weeks's writing that has me coming back for more? Somehow he's managed to captivate this reader. I can't wait to see what's in store for the characters next.

World building. Check. 
Innovative magic system. Check. 
Compelling characters. Check.

After the jump let's check out what I thought of The Broken Eye. Mild spoilers.



The Broken Eye continues the story of the Guile family and their associated friends. After the WTF cliffhanger ending of The Blinding Knife I was curious to see where the story was going from that point. As you know I'm a lover of the trilogy. This series at this stage is a four book series, and this book did have a slight filler book feeling to me. By this I meant it was setting the stage for the next book in the series The Blood Mirror. We only hear whispers of the Color Prince's army and their creep ever closer to the Chromeria, but there is only one POV from the army. Perhaps to tease us for the next instalment. As you can guess there isn't as much action in this one. The big battle is to come.  Weeks is moving his characters to where they need to be in order to face the coming battle. I'm expecting big battles to occur in the next book!

Andross Guile continues his devious plans. He always seems to be one step ahead of everyone, and even when he isn't he's already planned an advanced step in his mind. Always looking for power.  Looking for that edge to cement his ambitions. However he can't continuously factor how others will react and sometimes events take a turn he can't predict. Andross wants to retain power and his thought that Gavin is dead means he wants to cultivate his grandsons to be Prism. Zymum and Kip couldn't be too more unlikely candidates for the role.  Yes they have the magical power, but their backgrounds for the role don't give this reader confidence they can do the job.

Kip Guile. So much growing up in this book. It really started to feel like Kip was leaving his childhood behind and starting to become the man he is destined to be. Things aren't easy for him though, and Andross wants to play Kip into his master plan. Kip is a pawn for Andross and it's a case of if Kip can outplay him. Up for debate. 

It felt like there wasn't a lot of Gavin Guile in this instalment after what felt like his front and centre role in previous books. That's not to say Gavin, isn't about to face some hardship of his own and sometimes you have to figure out who you really are. The answer might be surprising. However our other characters are obsessed with knowing if Gavin is alive. The reader is aware of this, but not our characters.

Karris Guile was wonderful manipulated by the White. It's great to see her coming into her own and she is going to be a force to be reckoned with. She's powerful, kick ass and won't go down without a fight.

So many POV's from Teia. I loved getting to know her more.  watching her trying to understand paryl and not to be used by others. Paryl has a very useful quality and it's a quality that can be exploited. I'm interested to see how Teia is going to complete her mission.

It's the ending of this book that I can't get out of my mind. One it showed how cunning some players are; two, don't think you know where the story is going, because I'm going to surprise you; three OMG Weeks, you did not just go there! I'm so relieved I waited to read The Broken Eye in some ways, as I won't have as long a wait to see what happens next. Weeks has me on tenterhooks to find our where our characters are heading next!

Of course there was only one rating from me for this book and yes I am totally in love with this author's work. No apologies!!





Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)