What the Wenches Are Reading





Click through to see what we're reading this week! 






Angela: This week I’ve been reading Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I need a book for our Goodreads challenge which was set in Africa so  Zee recommended Half of a Yellow Sun to me. Set in the late 1960’s it tells the enthralling story of  Biafra’s attempt to establish a republic separate from Nigeria. It’s gripping reading and has made me realise how little I know about the history of the vast majority of African nations.

Anne: I didn't get much reading done this week. We had a wedding to go to on Saturday and my in-laws were coming to watch Toddler Wolverine, so I spent the beginning of the week cleaning my ass off. But, I did finish Iced and get started on Burned. I forgot that it starts off with the Barrons POV sex scene. That made for some interesting driving.

Barb: I finished The Sight, which was so good! It is so dark and heavy, completely different from what we are used to from Chloe Neill and I LOVE that. Look for a complete review closer to release in August. Because The Sight was so heavy, I needed something light and smutty to cleanse my palette so I picked up Ugly Love to reread. Okay, not light and fluffy at all, but riveting and so hot. I've got my fingers crossed that an ARC I'm dying for shows up on my e-reader this week so that I can enjoy it over the long weekend and recover from what is sure to be a heartwrenching tale.

Kathi: I’m still reading A Discovery of Witches, finding it slow but increasingly intriguing. The author builds a fascinating world, but not a fast-paced one. I saw a comment in an online Outlander tv series discussion that Stanley Weber (Outlander’s Comte St. Germain) should play the mysterious vampire Matthew Clairmont in a screen adaptation, and let me just say that was an amazingly good idea! Imagining him while I read will make this book orders of magnitude more appealing. I didn’t have a particularly clear picture of Matthew in my head, and I have a bit of a love/hate relationship going with him right now, depending on whether he’s being charmingly attentive or an insufferable control freak.

Merit: At last I read Bitten by Kelley Armstrong, the first book in the Women of the Otherworld series. It was almost at the top of my TBR list for a long time. Finally I read it and I’m glad I did. It’s your classic “old-fashioned” fantasy romance (published in 2001) with a strong, yet vulnerable, heroine who has to come to terms with herself. She is desperate to have normal life but she can’t, because she’s a werewolf, so she finds herself torn between these two worlds. KA did a great job describing that world and the characters, and also showing werewolves vs. humans in terms of violence, honesty, dignity, loyalty, and love.

Zee: It’s been a slow reading week for me. But I did read Chloe Neill’s The Sight, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I love the world and the mythology. It’s so very dark fantasy. I also picked up Lauren Blakely’s Big Rock on a recommendation. And I LOVED IT!!! I love romances that read like my favorite romcoms. And this was exactly like that. It also had one of my favorite romance plots, best friends who fall in love! So much fun! I am definitely reading more by her. Maybe Mister O next!

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)