On the Third Day of Sauciness

My true love gave to me:


Three Character Cities

Two Painful Endings

and

One Piece of Gandy Candy



July 2012 August Man Malaysia Magazine













Sometimes authors build the world in which their stories take place, so thoroughly that the cities begin to feel like characters in their own right. These are three cities that we feel like we know. We know our way around town, we know the culture, we know the food, we know the people. And we are just as attached to these locations as we are to the inhabitants.

1. Bon Temps, Louisiana (The Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris)

The only fictional locale in my list, Charlaine Harris does a fantastic job building the world where all her myriad supes live.  After twelve books I feel like I know where everything is in Bon Temps, how to get from Merlotte's to the Grabbit Quick to Sookie's old farmhouse. I know what the weather is like at any time of year, I know what kinds of things Sookie is going to have for dinner, and I know who she is going to run into when she returns her books to the library. Bon Temps is every bit as much a part of the story as Sookie, Eric, and Pam.




 

2. Chicago, Illinois (Chicagoland Vampires by Chloe Neill)


I've never been to Chicago (but I want to go. Badly.) but thanks to Chloe Neill's fantastic series I feel like I have. While I may not know where the various neighborhoods are, I have a grasp of what they are like. I know what Cadogan's Oak Park block feels like, and I can picture the gym where Merit learns to defend her House. The staples of Chicago food are described in such detail, right down to how they should be eaten, that I feel like I won't look like a total noob when I DO get to sample them. This series could not take place in any other city, and still be the same series.

 

3. Dublin, Ireland (Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning)

KMM has said that she wanted to write a series about the transition from a pre- to a post-apocalyptic world, and she did it beautifully when we watched her destroy Dublin. The Dublin that Mac fell in love with is definitely not the Dublin that Dani is enamored with in Iced. But whether it's before or after the walls crashed, Dublin is certainly as important to the Fever series as any character.

Comments

  1. Yay Chicago! I may be a little biased, but I think Chicago is the best city in the world. Ms Neill does a great job overall of representing my city. And, when (not if) you come here, I'll make sure you see all the CLV sites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Anne, you are so right--it's not if, it's when! And I will certainly take you up on the personal tour!

      Delete
  2. Awesome post. I so love that Bon Temps is there. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have some other issues with SVM and Ms. Harris, but her world-building is superb.

      Delete
  3. Not going to lie, if I ever visit Dublin, I would be a little hesitant to go out at night because of possible shades ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely, Krista! A MacHalo might be a requirement for a trip to Dublin! I probably wouldn't care how goofy I looked!

      Delete
  4. Great picks,can't wait to visit these cities, even Bon Temps, I guess it is possible to find it somewhere.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)