What the Wenches Are Reading

Octavia Butler
Source
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” ― Nora Ephron

What are you reading this week, Saucy Reader? Click through to see what we're reading, and be sure to share you books in the comments below! 

Angela: In between Gishwhes (The World's Greatest Scavenger Hunt) I have finally picked up my first Lisa Kleypas book, Secrets of A Summer Night, and am enjoying it. There is something about Regency Romances that I love. I think I will blame it firmly on my love of BBC period dramas.

Anne: I've been reading Fat Girl Walking suggested by our lovely Head Wench Barb. I've got a bit less than 100 pages left and I am loving it. I'd highly recommend it to anyone, but especially if you've struggled with your weight, depression/anxiety and/or family issues. I'm also nearing the end of Dragonfly in Amber. I had heard some so/so things about this one, but I'm enjoying it. I am going to take a break from Outlander after this though, and listen to something else. Any suggestions?

Barb: While traveling to a from visiting with family I finished Down London Road and read Before Jamaica Lane, both in the Dublin Street series by Samantha Young. London Road wasn't really my cup of tea, but I loved Jamaica Lane. Then Zee sent me A Gentleman in the Street by Alisha Rai and I devoured it in about a day. That book flipped the script on typical billionaire-boyfriend contemporary romances, was so dirty, and I loved every page. Look for a review on that one soon. I'm now reading Ricochet by Keri Lake, which was recommended by Goodreads when I wrote my review of Priest. I saw that Zee had also marked it as To Read, so she tracked it down and I started it next. I'm about halfway through and completely riveted. It is not your typical contemporary romance, more like The Punisher than The Notebook, but damned if I can look away from such a dark, gritty, broken, brutal, horrifying story that stills has a glimmer of hope. It is really brutal, though. Like, really, really brutal. I can't wait to get back to it! 

Donna: This week I've been on holiday. I took along an autographed copy of The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley. I hope to finish it on the plane ride home, because I'll be busy busy once I'm back.

Kathi: Just finished A Storm of Swords, which I thought was absolutely wonderful. I appreciated the abundant humor that helped balance the gruesome scenes, like weddings. I see why it seems to be everyone’s favorite of the series. I’m dreading some of the story lines for the next two books, but I’m hoping that book fans like Angela and Amanda can motivate me with a pep talk. In the meantime, I’m heading out on a family vacation and looking forward to a nice, loooooong train ride and a riveting standalone book or two. I’ve got several to choose from, we’ll see what mood I’m in when the time comes.

Zee:  I've been kinda stuck since The Veil and all the erotica I've been reading. So I've been rereading some Alisha Rai (I love her) and then reread bits of Before Jamaica Lane by Samantha Young. I just can't seem to get into anything new.

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)