Fangirl Fridays - A Little Girl's Amazing Role Models


“We teach girls to shrink themselves. To make themselves smaller. We say to girls, "You can have ambition, but not too much; you should aim to be successful, but not too successful. Otherwise you will threaten the man."
Because I am female I am expected to aspire to marriage, I am expected to make my life choices always keeping in mind that marriage is the most important. Now marriage can be a source of joy and love and mutual support, but why do we teach girls to aspire to marriage and we don't teach boys the same?
We raise girls to see each other as competitors, not for jobs or for accomplishments, which I think can be a good thing, but for the attention of men. We teach girls that they cannot be sexual beings in the way that boys are.”
 (Flawless by Beyonce, feat. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie)


Feminist: the person who believes in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes.




I grew up in a pretty traditional society, but thankfully, my parents are quite liberal (as much as they can be, and they truly try). My parents encouraged me; I was never limited in my dreams, wants and desires. Sometimes they found them strange or completely weird, but they tried to understand and accept them in time. They trust me and love me. And that's what matters the most.

I am a feminist. I always say that loud and clear. I don't understand women who say they aren't. I, mean, if you like having civil rights, being able to own land, have a job, vote and govern your own body then you are a feminist. It's not a bad word!!

As I was growing up, I didn't know about that word. All I did know was that my mom was amazing. Raising three kids practically alone (my dad travels for work), working full time and feeding us. No one helped her, except my dad when he was home. So, often times my siblings and I watched TV while we waited for our mom to come home. On that small screen I realized there were other amazing women like my mom. These TV characters just cemented my belief that I can do whatever I want. Be whoever I want. So, this is a list of some amazing characters that showed a little girl she can do whatever she wants with her life.

Xena the Warrior Princess


Super badass and amazing. I love that show to this day. Her battle cry and kick-ass moves are the stuff of legend. She was friendly, dangerous, compassionate, funny and passionate. Never letting anyone put her down, facing her problems and enemies face on.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer



Quite possibly my favourite TV character of all time. A short, blond girl is the chosen one. The one that is the usual victim in other TV shows is a badass in this one. She has depth, humour and strength. She is aware of herself and her power and isn't afraid to claim what's hers.

Colonel Samantha Carter


I love her. Brilliant, badass and amazing. The brains behind most of Stargate program. An astronaut, a physicist, the woman who blew up a sun, knows how to fly a spaceship, fire a P-90 and do math. What's not to love.

Det. Olivia Benson


The reason Olivia is on this list is because she fights for the underdog within the system. She isn't always successful but she always does her best and doesn't give up. Special Victims Unit often made episodes that were a comment on certain social problems and real crimes. Olivia embodies the real women that fight for justice in a system that stonewall them at every turn.

Special Agent (Dr.) Dana Scully


Scully is the first female character I fell in love with. A doctor and an agent, she helps her partner in every way. Keeps him grounded and doesn't let him bully her or disregard her ideas and opinions. She is often the only person of the two that actually works on solving the case while Mulder chases his aliens. 

Captain Kathryn Janeway



My favourite Star Trek captain. The only female captain in the ST universe. She governs Voyager with authority and strength. She is intelligent, compassionate and tough. Her crew respects her and follows her because she is fair and true to the mission. She values all her people and they aren't afraid to discuss and debate a topic with her, although always aware of her position and power. Janeway is a true leader.

Usagi Tsukino


What can I say about this character? I loved her. She was super funny and brave. She loves to eat, falls in love quickly, has mysterious destiny and powers, fights for love and friendship, and she would die for the people she loves. Usagi is a little girl, she would be what society describes as a bubble-head; cute, shallow and a bit dumb. But Usagi breaks that stereotype all the time and doesn't let anyone stand in her way. She is the one that saves the day with her team.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Thanks to these trail blazers, girls and young women today have many more strong female characters to look up to. They are not perfect or invincible, but they are the boss!



What about you, Saucy readers? Any women you grew up watching on your screen who brought our your feminist side and made you believe sky's the limit? Share with us in the comments below!

Comments

  1. Lt. Uhura from the original Star Trek (hey, it was the 60's). She was smart. She could fight with the best of them. She wasn't afraid to stand up to Kirk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! But I met Uhura much later in life.
      I also forgot to add Doctor Quinn Medicine Woman.

      Delete
    2. I loved Doctor Quinn. Yes to the Star Trek woman. I loved Captain Janeway.

      Delete

Post a Comment

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)