What the Wenches Are Reading

Source.
The Wenches have been trying to make that pesky thing called "real life" give us a break so we could make more time for reading this week. Some of us succeeded! Some, not as much.

Those of us who got time with our e-readers and paperbacks, revisited beloved books and beloved cities like Dublin. Our hearts are always there anyway! There's some juicy Hollywood gossip on our lists, and an especially inspiring autobiography. As well as some mindfuckery, which we love, and some straightforward regency romances and urban fantasy! Never say we're not an eclectic bunch!

Click through to see what we've been reading, and please share with us what you've been up to! 





Amanda: I am back in Dublin, and it's like it's my first trip! I started my Fever series re-read in preparation for the release of Feverborn in January 2016. I skipped ahead to Faefever (Fever #3) because I had re-read Darkfever and Bloodfever fairly recently. It's amazing how there are little things you forget. I also love how I'm devouring it like I don't already know what happens! 

Angela: I haven't read anything this week. I keep meaning to pick something up, but real life keeps getting in the way.

Anne: I'm into Bloodfever now and remembering how much I love this world. I'm also inching closer to the halfway point of Drums of Autumn.

Barb: Last week I started two books at one time, which I rarely do, and it went really well actually. Troublemaker by Leah Remini was absolutely fascinating, and I love her even more that I did before. I would like to be BFFs with her, okay, thanks. It really was an interesting read, both batshit crazy and hilarious, a book I highly recommend. I also read Sex Love Repeat by Alessandra Torre. She is outstanding with the mindfuck twist; you think you know what's going on then she opens another door and surprise it's something completely different. I really dig that about her! After finishing Sex Love Repeat, I was going to try a new release but discovered that the main characters were both eighteen, so I picked up Shadowfever instead. I'm not even sorry. I'll probably be in Dublin for Shadowfever, then Iced, then Burned for the forseeable future.

Donna: This week, I started reading I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban. The bravery, wisdom and intelligence of this remarkable young woman is truly inspiring. They attempted to prevent her from learning, but she refused to be silenced. They shot her in the head, she survived and went on to win a Nobel Peace Prize. Today she continues to be a voice for human rights and education for all - and she's still a teenager.

Kathi: What a week! I feel quite accomplished just to have finished The Veil, which I enjoyed very much (and Barb reviewed here).  Not sure yet what story I’ll read next, but I got an unexpected discount coupon for a real, printed book and bought Brave Enough. It spoke to me so clearly when my eyes alighted upon it, I felt like I’d gotten a big bear hug from a long-lost friend. It was the most absolutely perfect timing.

Merit:  I’m rereading “Cassandra Palmer” series by Karen Chance, in preparation for the 7th book in the series, Reap the Wind (November 4.) I forgot how much I enjoyed it. This was one of the first series which introduced me to vampire lore and stories.This fantasy tale is a roller coaster of actions and adventures. There are sexy (and not so sexy,) vampires, mages, fays, satyrs, witches, ghosts and we meet Cassandra, the heroine, who is a clairvoyant. Ms. Chance, weaves historical and literary figures into her story, Casanova, Kit Marlow, Raphael, Dracula’s family, even Jack the Ripper is there. I finished book 1, Touch the Dark and book 2, Claimed by Shadows, and started book 3, Embrace the Night. Great read.

Shau: This week I'm reading Sweep in Peace by Ilona Andrews. It's the second book in her Innkeeper Chronicles. Some might have read it online as a free serial (I haven't had the time the second time around), but both books were published as actual books upon the ending of each installment. I really loved the first one. The characters Ilona has created are familiar and yet with a twist. My complete favorite part of the book is the idea of the Inn, it's completely fantastic and I love it. My hope is that the second book is as good as the first one. I'm only at the beginning so I don't know yet.

Zee: I attempted reading this week hoping that I'd get into my regular reading again, but managed to only make it through a book and a half. I REALLY enjoyed Sherry Thomas's Ravishing The Heiress! I love how non formulaic her books seem to be so far. Started the next one, Tempting The Bride, and I have to say... I'm not ecstatic about the amnesia story line... And I really wanted to read about this couple from the first book in the series... So I'm a little torn. But so far, Sherry Thomas has not disappointed, so I'm going to finish it. 

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)