What the Wenches Are Reading


Some Wenches are luxuriating in new releases, some are squeezing in a chapter here and there around our busy summers, some of us are exploring fascinating new reads, and some are drowning in mediocre reads we're embarrassed to admit we've read. 

Click through to see who's reading what, and give us some suggestions in the comments below!


 
Amanda:  Between celebrating my 40th in Chicago, and then heading to Virginia Beach for Nationals Dance Competition, I have almost NO time to read! Heinous, really, because as a rule, I *always* read before bed every night. I actually have managed a chapter or two of A Feast for Crows by GRRM.

Angela: I finally finished the Vampire Academy series. I've been pushing through to finish them as I have encouragement that Bloodlines is really good. Well it is a separate series it does kind of follow on from Vampire Academy. Thoughts on Vampire Academy - I just couldn't click with the heroine Rose and her relationship with Dmitri. I wanted to, but I just couldn't warm to her. Perhaps it's my aversion to YA novels or that I wanted more from them. I never felt invested in them having a HEA. Luckily the side characters were interesting enough to keep me reading until the end.

Barb: I started The Signature of All Things, but with out-of-town company two weekends in a row, in addition to attending a killer concert with my soul sister, Zee (seriously if you have a chance to go see Andy Grammer DO IT!) I didn't get very far. Then I got distracted by Detroit: An American Autopsy by Charlie LeDuff. Because I love Detroit and the book is heartbreaking, and darkly fascinating.

Beta: Breaking news everyone, I finally finished A Breath of Snow and Ashes, yay me! A lot of good stuff going on, especially in the second half, and a good amount of revelations. Now I'm excited, with a hint of worries as I always am when it comes to Diana Gabaldon, to start the next one, An Echo in the Bone.

Care: This week was pretty quiet reading-wise. I'm gearing up for our next school year, planning our schedule and holidays and breaks and subjects...  Anyhow! I've also had visitors and parties... 'cause I'm not getting any older! I refuse! It does all put a bit of a dent in available free time, though. As such, most of my reading is curriculum/teacher manuals and Home Learning Year By Year by Rebecca Rupp.

Kathi: I am listening to Davina Porter’s fabulous audio version of Written In My Own Heart’s Blood now. I spent a lot of time in airports and airplanes this past week, and I hope to spend a lot of time gardening in the weeks ahead, so this is the perfect way to continue basking in my euphoric fangirl daze and wait for the Outlander tv series to begin. (And truth be told, I’m working too much overtime to have the energy to start something new.)

Merit:  A friend gave me this book to read called Dogs at the Perimeter by Madeleine Thien. What a story!This is the story of a woman (living now in Canada), telling her horrific memories of her childhood being ripped from her under the Khmer Rouge rule in Cambodia during the 70s. It is a story of loss and pain, of struggle and search for oneself. My box of tissues is empty now.

Natalie: This week I am confident I can complete my All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness.
 
Zee: So my reading week has been kinda terrible lately. Trashy, free e-books which lured me in with sexy covers. Sigh. I am such a sucker. There were a couple of OKAY reads, but still nothing I would recommend to anyone. When I Break by Kendall Ryan had a sex addicts anonymous therapist falling in love with one of her REALLY effed up patients... SO ethical... apparently that's a fantasy scenario *shudder* L.K.Rigel's My Mr. Rochester: Jane Eyre Retold intrigued me when I read it boasted a futuristic setting (and I really love Jane Eyre.. although not a fan of glorified fanfic usually.. but was low on reading options), I liked the amped up sexual tension.. but other than that.. it's kinda exactly the same... EXACTLY. So kinda pointless. I'm hoping to move on to The Others by Anne Bishop or Q : A Novel by Evan Mandery.

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)