What the Wenches Are Reading





Click through to see what we're reading this week. 





Angela: It’s now back to the Malazan world. I’ve started Memories of Ice (The Malazan Book of the Fallen #3) by Steven Erikson. It’s so wonderful to see the characters back from Gardens of the Moon. So many things are starting to click more into place from book one now. Absorbing reading. At times quite grim. I’m mixing it up with reading the final book in the Lady Julia Grey series by Deanna Raybourn, The Dark Enquiry. It’s exciting that it looks like I’ll be finishing my third series for the year. Historical mystery series in which I’ve found some books compelling reading and a couple of them a bit more of a slog, but still entertaining.

Anne: I went back to some old favorite fanfictions this week. In the audio book world, I finished Silver Borne and started my all time favorite Harry Potter book, The Prisoner of Azkaban. I also started watching 13 Reasons Why on Netflix, so I added that book to my audio book wishlist. I’m only three episodes in, but I’m enjoying it very much.

Barb: After finishing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows I needed a little time to process, mourn, celebrate, write a little about it. Then, after almost a week I picked up Wench Merit's suggestion, Royal Street, the first in the Sentinels of New Orleans series by Suzanne Johnson. I'm really enjoying it, both for the unique supernatural mythology and for the very realistic New Orleans setting. I'm not terribly far in but I'm reading a bit every night faithfully, and my heart is broken as the story starts in the days before Katrina hit, giving it a realism that grounds everything beautifully. It's also making me want to learn more about what exactly when wrong, both in the days before and in the storm's aftermath, and how New Orleans has been the glorious phoenix it is, rising from the ashes of disaster. 

Donna: This week I'm continuing Claire North's The Sudden Appearance of Hope. Poor Hope - no one can remember her after being out of her presence for a minute. When a new acquaintance suddenly takes her own life, Hope is suspicious about a lifestyle smartphone app "Perfection", which her friend was using.

Kathi: Reading time is scarce, so I’m only about halfway through my reread of Dark Debt. I appreciate being back in a familiar neighborhood, with characters I know and love. I can relax and enjoy visiting my fictional friends instead of worrying about what’s going to happen.

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)