What the Wenches Are Reading

Source



Click through to see what we're reading this week! 




Angela: This week I’m still on Reaper’s Gale (Malazan Book of the Fallen #7) by Steven Erikson, and it continues to be a riveting read, full of action and intrigue.

Anne: I’m still on the Night Huntress series. I’m up to This Side of the Grave. I also read our January Book of the Month, The Woman in the Window, which I highly recommend! I would not, however, recommend reading it alone, at night in a dark house, like I did. I also finished listening to Pretty Girls Dancing, which I liked, but didn’t love. I also restarted and finished A Wrinkle in Time. I can’t wait for the movie. And, I’ve since started The Silent Girls by Erik Rickstad. I picked this book solely because it’s narrated by one of my audio book favorites, RC Bray, who also narrated The Martian.

Barb: I finished The Paper Swan and, unsurprisingly, still super duper love it. Look for a post where I shamelessly gush about its brilliance soon. After that I picked up our Book of the Month, The Woman In The Window and could not put it down. It grabbed me from the beginning and didn't let me go until two days later when I finished the last page. I don't read them often, but I really do love tales about other people's fuckedupness and the interesting things that leads to. I hope you're reading along or planning to. Come chat with us about it on our Facebook page, and look for a recap later in the month. Finally, I went looking for a quote from Feversong and got sucked right back into the Fever world, as you do, so I went all the way back to the beginning of Burned. If you know us, you know how we feel about the Fever world, so no other commentary necessary at this time. 

Kathi: I finished A Court of Wings and Ruin, and I need a few moments to catch my breath before I can possibly even think of picking up another book! Loved this series, loved how it made me feel while I read it. Breathless with anticipation, like the good old days when I read Fever! I’m really looking forward to the next installment (which happens to be our May book of the month, yay). But next on my list is The Woman in the Window. On TV, I finished season 5 of A Place to Call Home (too depressing for the longest time, but finally got around to developments I could cheer about). Then I started season 2 of Victoria on PBS. And I started Amazon’s new Electric Dreams, an anthology series based on the short stories by Philip K. Dick and produced by the Outlander crew of Ronald D. Moore and Maril Davis as well as Bryan Cranston (aka Walter Breaking Bad White). If Black Mirror’s view of technology is too dark and depressing for you, or if you’d like to balance it with a more hopeful view, Electric Dreams is the antidote. Some of my favorite sci-fi movies are based on PKD stories (Blade Runner, Impostor, Minority Report, Total Recall, The Man in the High Castle), and I’m enjoying watching these short stories come to life.

Merit: I've read 2 books this week, one is Clockwork Boys by T. Kingfisher (aka Ursula Vernon). A team of misfit characters, condemned to death or life time in prison is on a doomed quest to find out the mystery behind the intimidating clockwork boys. A fun read, the first book in The Clocktaur War. The second book I read is Predator Gold, Mortal Engines Quartet #2, Philip Reeve. Two years after the events in the first book, our heroes continue their crazy journey with traveling cities through the broken earth, new friends, new enemies, uncharted territories, pure steampunk and highly entertaining.

Zee: I've been making my way through Kit Rocha's Beyond series. Anne and Barb have got me curious about the BOTM Woman in the Window so might take a detour and read that.

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)