What the Wenches Are Reading




Click through to see what we're reading this week!! 





Angela:  This week I did a buddy read for Mariana by Susanna Kearsley and had a great time reading the book. I loved the reincarnation idea in this book and it was a compelling read, even if I was a little worried our heroine would get hit by a car due to the nature of the story and the time travel involved.

Anne: I was underwhelmed by a few recommended fanfictions this past week. No idea what I’m going to read next. I’m still trying to track down my Night Huntress books for a re-read. In the audio world, I finished Zodiac and by the time this is published, I’ll be done with Dead Wake too. Next, I’m going to start The Descendants (based on Wench Zee’s recommendation) and Stephen King’s It.

Barb: I finished One Foot In The Grave, which I still super duper love. Cat is so much less unbearable in this one, and Bones is pure perfection on undead legs. Next I've moved on to Hillary Clinton's new memoir, What Happened, and even though I'm only a few dozen pages in, I'm already teary on almost every page. I don't think I'll ever get over knowing exactly what we missed out on. 

Donna: I'm continuing on with George R.R. Martin's A Feast for Crows and I picked up Hillary Clinton's What Happened Now I just need a day off to read this sure-to-be compelling account of the 2016 American election from the first female candidate for POTUS. Rawr!

Kathi: I’ve been reading The Penultimate Truth, one of the books listed in Wench Anne’s Books of the Resistance. Many of my favorite science-fiction screen epics have been based on Philip K. Dick’s stories (like Blade Runner, Minority Report, Total Recall, Impostor, The Man in the High Castle), yet I hadn’t read his books. This is a really cool story that could serve as the basis of another thought-provoking movie, especially set in the current political environment. Its theme is oppression of the working class through fake news — to a breathtaking degree. His imagination is top notch and disturbingly prophetic, but I have to say that I’m having a hard time with the writing. I’ve struggled to follow the story, though I think maybe it’s getting better now. I will probably stick with screen versions of his stories in the future. OMG, I was googling for film names, and discovered that a new anthology of Dick’s lesser-known stories, developed in the UK by Ronald D. “Outlander” Moore and Bryan “Walter White” Cranston, premiered in the UK on September 17! Wikipedia says the 10-episode Electric Dreams will also be shown on Amazon video in the US! I am now super jazzed and impatiently waiting for it to show up!! 

Shau: I didn't have time for reading this week. So nothing from me.

Zee: No reading with me this week as I've been busy with family. My kindle feels so lonely. I miss it too.

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)