What the Wenches Are Reading

There is still a lot of Karen Marie Moning on our list this week! Most of us have finished and loved Feversong, but it always takes a while to move on from the Fever world. Click through to see what else we're reading this week! 



Angela:  I finished Deadhouse Gates (Malazan #2) by Steven Erikson. This series is quickly becoming my favourite fantasy series. Each book is so complex and the detail is staggering. Erikson is both an anthropologist and archaeologist and it comes through in his writing. If you love epic fantasy this may be the series for you as well. 

Anne: I’m attempting to move on from the magnificence of Feversong by binging on Supernatural fanfiction. But, I’m going to get started my advanced copy of Silence Fallen, the new Mercy Thompson book, soon. I’m listening to American Gods on my commute and loving it!!

Barb: I finished Feversong. We've been gushing about it. Here and here. Now I'm making my way through an ARC of Mists of the Serengeti by Leylah Attar. You'll recall that her Paper Swan was my very favorite book of 2015, since I gushed about it all over the blog. I have to say I'm pretty bummed that I got these two books so close together. An Attar book deserves my undivided attention, and it's just not getting it. Not because it's not great! Reviews seems to be glowing and, as with everything this author touches, the imagery is stunning. But to go from the epic conclusion of a sweeping fantasy to a decidedly real saga is challenging. So, I'm very sorry, Ms. Attar, that I'm not giving your book the attention it deserves. I blame Karen Moning. 

Care:  It’s been rough times ‘round here. I haven’t been reading nearly as much as I want to, so my list is woefully short. However! It does contain both The Bad Beginning from A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket and Hold on to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More than Peers by Dr Gordon Neufeld and Gabor Mate.

Donna: I just started re-reading George Orwell's 1984. There's really no special reason why......

Kathi: I’ve had a very hard time following anything this week, but I’ve been trying to read Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. As a dystopian novel, it’s a bit more literary and requires more concentration than I’m in the mood for now. But I’m forcing myself to continue reading in the hopes of redirecting my frustrations. On TV, I’ve finished binge watching Orphan Black and started on Victoria, but I keep falling asleep during everything else that isn’t political satire.  

Merit: This week I read two ghost stories, not on purpose, it was just a coincidence. The first book was Phantom Kiss, novella #12.5 in the Chicagoland Vampires series by the wonderful Chloe Neill. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting Merit, Ethan and friends again. An excellent short  story, full of fun, adventures and a serial killer ghost, just what I needed while waiting for Blade Bound. I found the second book buried inside my TBR pile, its name luring me to it for obvious reasons. Haunted on Bourbon Street is book #1 in The Jade Calhoun series by Deanna Chase. Jade is an empath who recently moved to New Orleans and finds out her apartment is haunted. A light fluffy story with enjoyable characters, a fun read.  

Zee: I've been randomly rereading Feversong and Feverborn. Also started reading Darkfever. But not really sitting down and reading them yet.

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)