What the Wenches Are Reading



There’s a lot of romance on our e-readers these last few weeks. Whether we’re basking at the beach, unwinding after work, or seeking solace from current events, most of us are diving into romance, with a bit of fantasy and mystery to round it out. Click to see what we're reading now! 

Angela: I've finally finished the book I've been reading all June — Speaks the Nightbird by Robert McCammon. Really enjoyed it. Historical mystery set in 1699 Carolinas, USA.

Anne: I listened to I'll Be Gone In the Dark by Michelle McNamara, Patton Oswalt's wife. It was fascinating. Now I'm listening to Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe. It's narrated by Lin-Manuel Miranda. It's not at all what I expected but I'm really enjoying it. In actual reading, I've been escaping into fluffy, smutty fanfiction.

Donna: Since I got my new Kindle, I’ve read TWO books! They were both romances, and that’s just what I need right now. Saving Grace by Julie Garwood (thanks, Merit) was the first one I read. Gosh, I haven’t read one of her books since my kids were little! Then I read Hate to Want You by Alisha Rai (thanks, Zee). There are some sequels to that one from what I hear, so I’ll be sure to pick those up. It’s so nice to have an e-reader back in my hands!

Barb: Yeah, it's all romance all the time for me these days. I can't even bring myself to read to nonfiction books I've been loving in recent years. But I finished an Alyssa Cole yesterday and started a Lauren Blakely. Excellent diverse escapism from a regressive world.

Kathi: I just finished the third book in the Throne of Glass series (Throne of Glass, Crown of Midnight, and The Assassin's Blade, which contains five prequel novellas that are actually books #0.1–0.5). I'm pleasantly surprised to be enjoying these so much, because they're a bit dark, but the fantasy world and cast of characters grow richer and more compelling with each new book. I started to write a post about how much I like these first books, but then I reread Merit's review and realized she had already said it all! I'm starting Heir of Fire (book #3), and according to many fans, this is where the series really gets good! (See why I'm excited? I already like it a lot. Now I won't be able to put it down!) Based on the huge reveals at the end of book #2, the story has just been turned on its axis and caused a seismic shift in the role of the main character — beautiful, deadly Celaena Sardothien, world's greatest assassin, and now so much more, as it turns out. Can't wait!!

Merit: After going through the Hidden Legacy trilogy (loved it!), I'm rereading Charley Davidson #8, Eighth Grave after Dark, and enjoying it again.

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)