What the Wenches Are Reading

Source
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! 
How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them.
― Arnold Lobel

Click through to see what we're reading this week! 



Amanda: Reading has still been a rocky road lately. I picked back up with Outlander, but then my dear son dropped my Kindle Fire HDX in the toilet! I have 2 backup Kindles though, but they weren't so hot. One of them is a Kindle Keyboard. I can't go back to that dinosaur. I need touch screen and speed! The other backup is a 1st generation Kindle Fire. Man, what a difference between that and the one that just got damaged! Plus, my old Fire acts up sometimes. The good news is that I received my brand new Kindle Paperwhite yesterday!...and I'm not sure I love it yet because it's so different from the Fires, but I'm really giving it a chance.  

Angela: This week I've been slowly reading A Red Rose Chain (October Daye #9) by Seanan McGuire. I feel like I've been reading it slowly as I know I'll have to wait a year for the next installment, so want to savour reading the book.

Anne: I was finally able to get back to The Veil by the lovely Chloe Neill this week. I'm almost done with it. And, I am getting close to done with Voyager also. Seasick Jamie is pathetically hilarious.

Barb: After several stops and starts, a few books that aren't even worth mentioning, my rather serious book hangover caused by The Paper Swan is finally broken! By the author of The Paper Swan! Leylah Attar's first novel, 53 Letters For My Lover, was a bit of a surprise for me. I thoroughly enjoyed it, although it didn't knock me on my ass like Paper Swan. After I finished 53 Letters I read an ARC of Rock Redemption, the fourth installment in Nalini Singh's Rock Kiss series. I've really enjoyed that series, which is pure escapism. Rock Redemption releases on October 6, so look for a complete review around that time. 

Care: I started out the week cozy with an old favorite, Fish & Chips, then made my way straight back into Glasgow Lads - I tore through the prequel novella (Play On), and then the soon-to-be-released Playing to Win!  After that, of course, I needed to slow it down a bit!  I went, much more slowly, through Play On, am now midway through Playing for Keeps, and up next is Playing to Win. So very much fun, so very good, so super excited.  

Donna:  I haven't had much time for reading this week, but I did finish The Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter #3). The movie version was great, but the book is so much better. One of my favorite parts is when Sirius asks Harry if he wants to live with him on summer break. "Some sort of explosion took part in the pit of Harry's stomach. 'What - live with you? he said, accidentally cracking his head on a bit of rock protruding from the ceiling. 'Leave the Dursleys?' 'Of course, I thought you wouldn't want to,' said Sirius quickly. 'I understand. I just thought I'd -' 'Are you mad?' said Harry, his voice easily as croaky as Sirius'. 'Of course I want to leave the Dursleys. When can I move in?' Sirius turned right around to look at him; Snape's head was scraping the ceiling but Sirius didn't seem to care. 'You want to? You mean it?' 'Yeah, I mean it!' said Harry. Sirius' gaunt face broke into the first true smile Harry had seen upon it. The difference it made was startling, as though a person ten years younger was shining though the starved man mask; for a moment, he was recognizable as the man who had laughed at Harry's parents wedding."

Kathi: I’m on the home stretch with A Feast for Crows and just past halfway through A Dance with Dragons. Ran across a big shocker that I had to message Angela about! Really loving these books, though yes some of these story lines are dragging a bit (Dany, sigh). I love when major characters cross paths without even realizing it, though.

Merit: It was a crappy week, tons of work, a terrible sandstorm for four days! I just managed to finish Queen of Shadows by the talented Sarah J. Maas. That book was the only ray of light I had this week and what a light!!! Amazing story, great characters, especially the women in this series, every one of them is unique and colorful, badass in her own way. The guys are not far behind… I love the very slow burn romance, (and the bromance), the interaction between the characters, the light humor and the bitter moments. Epic story. 

Shau:  I have been reading World of the Lupi by Eileen Wilks. I've read the first three books and they were good. But it seems that the thrill is gone and I won't continue reading these for the time being. They were good, but not amazing. The first book was the best of the three I've read, and it's the reason I've decided to read the next two. Maybe I'll return to the rest of the series after a while. Who knows.

Zee:  I haven't really been in much of a reading mood lately sadly. But my TBR keeps piling up. I have read some pretty crappy erotica that doesn't deserve to be mentioned lol. I started Chapelwood, finally. Couple of chapters in, and I'm already pleasantly surprised with where it started, and where it's going!

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)