What the Wenches Are Reading

Madeline L'Engle
source
“Do not read as children do to enjoy themselves, or, as the ambitious do to educate themselves. No, read to live.” ― Gustave Flaubert 
 
Click through to see what we're reading this week, and be sure to share your selections and suggestions in the comments below!

Amanda: I'm reading The Shadows by J.R. Ward. It's pretty good so far. Not awesome, but pretty good.
 
Angela: I'm still ready Lamb:The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore. I've barely had any time to read all week due to real life commitments darn it. But, I have discovered that Jesus aka Joshua's best friend Biff is a real smart arse. Or maybe Biff just thinks he is keeping it real. After all as Joshua's future is mapped out for him to be the Messiah, he needs someone to protect him from doing anything crazy like chiseling off statues' penises. Although Biff may not have succeeded in that regard.
 
Barb:  I finished Faefever (damn, the end of that book is rough!) and moved right on to Dreamfever. Chapter four is a simply stunning piece of storytelling. It slays me every single time. You've read the Fever series, right, Saucy Reader? If you haven't, you are so very missing out!
 
Care: Well, it's been slow going for me.  Not a lot of time for things, I've been wrapped up in Mother's Day, health care, homeschool, field trips, how to make a jet pack (or an R2-D2 costume, depending on the timing)... depressingly, everything but reading.  As a result, I managed to make my way through Lover Avenged, which I still enjoy, and I still love Tohr, and I'm still PISSED about Wellsie, and will NEVER give that up. After that, I picked up Tigers and Devils, then Tigerland by Sean Kennedy. Both are finished, as is Coaching Baseball for Dummies, and I'm not sure where I'll go next. Probably somewhere weird.
 
Kathi: I am still reading Gone Girl. Actually, I have continued to listen to the audio book since I returned from vacation, because I’m enjoying the narrators’ voices, so my progress is slower than usual. The book provides a lot more insight into the characters than the movie did. Very well written. First, it was the way that the clues were revealed and the “aha” moments parceled out at just the right pace that keep me hooked. And now I can’t turn away from the increasing levels of batshit crazy! Highly entertaining and not just a tiny bit scary.

Merit:  I know that when you’ll be reading this post, I’ll be reading the final, much awaited conclusion to Susan Ee's outstanding trilogy, Penryn & the End of DaysEnd of Days. In an effort to pass the waiting time quickly, I read a new book: A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses #1) by Sarah J. Maas. This one is a brand new trilogy; it has a tough, pragmatic heroine, swoon-worthy hero, intriguing secondary characters, all kind of faeries, and, of course, romance. Some reviews hint about its similarity to Beauty and the Beast. Yes, it is there, but the story transforms very quickly into an original one. A beautiful fantasy tale.
 
Zee:  I am EXCITED that everyone will FINALLY get to read End of Days by Susan Ee and I'll finally be able to talk about it!!! So might either do a series reread or just an End of Days reread. I haven't really picked up anything since Maplecroft by Cherie Priest, which I loved, and Garden of Lies by Amanda Quick. This week I'm in the mood for something new and fantastical. Lets see how that works out! 

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)