What The Wenches Are Reading

Surprisingly, this week, most of us have gotten a lot of reading done! Which is one of the best Christmas gifts one can get really.

We have a few big releases coming up in January 2014, and a few us are rereading (while wondering why it would ever end!) a beloved series in preparation. Head Wench Barb was lucky enough to receive an ARC (from one of our absolute favorite authors, she's a bit of a superhero over here) that I would chop off a finger for (not kidding...) and there's a few brand new names on our lists! Angels, apocalypses, vampires and distant, dystopian futures, we've got a foot in almost every world this week!

Click through to see what we've been reading! The Wenches wish you and your loved ones a very Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays! Season's Greetings! 








Amanda: With Christmas right around the corner, I haven't been able to read as much as I'd like. However, I am still loving Lover At Last. I'm really so delighted by that fact!

Angela: This week I've cracked back open Dangerous Women and at this hectic time of year its perfect in that you can read one short story at a time and don't have to invest the time that a longer series would take. I've finally met some work of author Joe Abercrombie in his short Some Desperado and I'm kind of excited as I enjoyed what I read. I have The Blade Itself coming up as one of the Goodreads group Winter Challenge books and I can't wait to get started once I finish the Dangerous Women anthology. Merry Christmas and I hope you managed to fit in some reading time over the holiday period.

Anne:  Most of the reading I've done this week has been baby and/or Christmas related. So, not much exciting to report. But, I'm starting to browse through the Night Huntress series again for an upcoming post. So, I might read those again. But, I'm also contemplating a Chicagoland Vampires re-read in light of all of the awesome releases recently and coming up soon!

Barb: I was moving quite slowly through my Night Huntress reread, stuck on At Grave's End due to all of the tasks I needed to complete before leaving for holiday travels. Then my reread and my tasks got derailed by the arrival of my advance review copy of Chloe Neill's Wild Things, the ninth Chicagoland Vampires novel which releases on February 3. As I write, I'm about two-thirds through, certain that I will have it well finished by the time you read this. And all I can say is, if you are a CLV fan, preorder this sucker. You will want to read it right away. I'll be venturing back to AGE next, when I'll have to force myself to read through Christmas Day in the NH world. Maybe I won't cry this time.

Beta: I haven't read a thing this week, again... not even a Christmas story! Shameful, I know. I've just been so busy with work, family, a little bit of post writing and Christmas preparation and I've been going to bed way too late as usual, so I just fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.

Care: It's apparently feast or famine at the Blackstone O'Flaherty house when it comes to reading. The past few weeks have been a hodge-podge of random reads. This week? Well, this week, I plowed through Halfway to the Grave, One Foot In the Grave, and At Grave's End, as well as the short story Happily Never After.  All Night Huntress - looks like I'm rockin' the series again.  I'm honestly really excited to be rereading these, it's like picking up an old friend, and with new headcanon (HEADCANON ACCEPTED!) for Cat and Bones, I find I'm much happier reading.  In my first few read throughs, Cat drove me up the wall. Completely and utterly, and I was confused how people liked her straight off. New headcanon, BAM. I have large love. Granted my favorite characters are still the sideline Mencheres and Spade, but I'll get to their books once I've plowed through the rest of the series. I forgot just how much I love these books, and I'm super happy Barb nudged me to get my ass in gear rereading them!

Donna: This week I read a book. I've been conspicuously absent from What the Wenches are Reading for a while now, because I've been busy doing other things. Work has been crazy (as it has been for a lot of people at this time of year, I imagine). My free time has been spent trying to catch up with my favorite shows on the PVR - one of the greatest inventions ever! - and the usual wife and mom stuff. I've reread parts of some of my favorite books, but never actually finished anything, so I didn't feel I had anything to contribute. Kresley Cole gave a naughty early Christmas present to her fans - Part 1 of The Professional, The Game Maker Series. This was released on Kindle December 16th, with Part 2 available January 6th, and Part 2 on January 20th. Kresley has dipped her toes in the erotic romance pool - hell, I think she jumped right in! If you are looking for something a little spicier than usual, give it a try.

Kathi: I've had very little time to read this week, so I’m still making my way through the Dangerous Women anthology edited by George R.R. Martin. As it turns out, these stories are perfect for my short, sporadic reading opportunities. They’re a particularly strong collection in a variety of genres, highly entertaining, plus I’m getting to try a lot of authors I’ve been meaning to check out — in “sample sizes” instead of having to commit to entire novels. If you usually shy away from anthologies because the stories are of inconsistent quality, you might want to give this one a try!

Merit: This week flew by, I am reading Clean Sweep by Ilona Andrews,it was recommended in this blog this month, by Wench Shau (here). This is a great read, imaginative, clever and funny. I especially love the fabulous idea of  the Dina's Inn. Thanks  Shau.

Natalie: So it's a Holiday week...and I plan on doing some reading! I finished book one of the Divergent series and I enjoyed it. I found myself thinking about my own fears, strengths, and weaknesses. I'll keep those thoughts to myself but I thought the book was well written and enjoyed the characters. This week will be Insurgent and if I'm lucky book 3 as well. Hope everyone has had or will have a Happy Holiday!

Veronica:  Too busy for reading this week! Trying to get everything ready for the holiday, and I'm taking some much needed time off work, so I'm trying to cram all my responsibilities in at the office before I leave. I think Thursday I'm going to pick up a random 1000-pager and dig in. Or I might just take a very very long nap.

Zee: After last week's WTWAR, I started Angelfall (which Wench Merit reviewed here) and it was LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT! I have to say, I finished the book in record time because it was just that good. And then picked up the second book, World After, the next day, which was also pretty amazing. Can't wait for the next installment! I can't seem to move on from the series and am fighting the urge to reread it. A lot of readers had recommended The Hallowed Ones by Laura Bickle, which is actually kinda intriguing. And a very different perspective to an apocalypse than I've ever read (the main character is a young girl from an Amish community.) Will be getting to the second book in the series, The Outside, next.

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)