What the Wenches are Reading

Source



The Wenches seem to have a lot going on this week, and some of us are reading more than others. Anne got to finish the new Mercy Thompson book, so look for a review later this week, and a few Wenches are still preparing for upcoming releases. Barbara and Angela are tickled to be hooked on the same new-to-us series right now, and a few Wenches are still bravely working their way through some huge books.

Click through to see who's reading what, and don't forget to share with us what you're reading this week!








Anne: After reading and enjoying Frost Burned, I am back to my Ty & Zane re-read. I'm on Armed & Dangerous now. And I started listening to the The Chronicles of Narnia on my commute. Those books are quite enjoyable as well, though I forgot that they would be much shorter than the George R. R. Martin audiobooks!

Angela: I am reading The Hollows series by Kim Harrison. I've read Dead Witch Walking and The Good, the Bad and the Undead. Fantastic recommendation by Wench Donna. I am having a hard time tearing myself away from the world of Rachel Morgan. I need to skim some J. R. Ward next.

Barbara: I finished Dead Witch Walking and started The Good, the Bad, and the Undead. I'm really enjoying these Hollows books because the characters are fascinating and it's such an interesting world. I didn't have much time to read last week, or over the weekend since I had the best houseguest ever, so I hope to have more time to devote to Rachel and her gang this week.

Beta: Once again I haven't done much reading lately, but I did a little Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, and Voyager reread, just to refresh my memory on certain things for research purposes for a post I'm working on. It made me tear up all over again.

Donna: I'm reading A Storm of Swords (G. R. R. Martin), and I haven't wanted to throw it out the window once. I still find it a little jarring the way he keeps jumping to different POV characters with each chapter, but I can deal with it. Thanks to Wench Angela for encouraging me to keep going by dangling Hot Jaime in front of me. Once I've finished with the series to date, I'll check out Serena's Kissed by Fire blogsite and see what's happening with the Game of Thrones crowd.

Katherine: Had a very busy week IRL, but I started reading Lover Eternal yesterday and plan on getting to Zsadist's book by Tuesday.

Kathi: I am still struggling through A Clash of Kings. I love the tv and book series, but in honor of springlike weather my brain wants to play instead of plot political intrigue. So I bought The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination and read the “new” Diana Gabaldon novella, The Space Between. This is the first time I’ve been able to get my hands on this story, which is set in 1778, during the same time period as the end of the last Outlander book. It features four of the side characters from the Outlander series who are living in Paris, and reveals some extremely interesting, (mostly) unexpected information about them. Which opens the door to some exciting future possibilities, and (fingers crossed) sets the stage for a future book about two who turn out to be far older and more mysterious than we knew. I’ll continue reading the other great short stories in the anthology, one of which was written by David D. Levine, a former co-worker who quit his day job a few years back to write science fiction full time. I really enjoyed his story, and many of the others in this book.

Merit: I didn’t read much this week because I was on vacation in Asia, but I spent 11 out of 11:50 hours on the flight back from Hong Kong with Charley Davidson in Fourth Grave Beneath my Feet, the 4th book in the series. Combine Darynda Jones's unique writing style, a strong and witty yet vulnerable heroine, a super-hot and mysterious hero, and great humor. Then throw in clever storylines, some craziness, and a lot of coffee, and you get this enjoyable series. I had a lot of fun reading it.

Olga: Nothing to report this week. I'm watching a Buffy The Vampire Slayer marathon, and there is not much time for anything else. Who needs to take a shower or eat when there's a good (oldie-but-goldie) TV show anyway?

Veronica: Almost done with Lover Unbound. No idea what I'm going to read next.

Zee: Didn't have time to read over the weekend, except on Friday on the train. (I was on my way to meet Head Wench Barb! And it was epic!!) I read the first three Lady Julia Grey mysteries by Deanna Raybourn, which Veronica had recommended. I REALLY want to start The Hollows series, because so many others are reading those books.

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)